Thursday, January 26, 2012

Welfare...

   As far as I am concerned, welfare is meant to assist you in times of need.  I don't believe it was ever meant to be your total income.  When I first started out with my first wife and 2 small boys, there was a time that we utilized the welfare system.  Both my sons were born on the medicaid system, and benefited from the formula, cereal and milk that we picked up from the store with a W.I.C. check once a month.  And even though I always had a job, we qualified for the food stamps.  
   Let me tell you, the neat little 'ebt' card welfare recipients get now a days is no where as embarrassing as pulling out your booklet of food stamp coupons.  Every cashier always looked at you like you should just kill yourself now and save the tax payers money.


A little sample of Food Stamp Coupons


  The most embarrassing time happened when we were visiting my ex-in laws in Jacksonville, FL.  They were pretty comfortable financially and lived in a neighborhood to match.  While we were there we decided to run up to the local grocery store to get some things for lunch.  When I went to check out, the cashier thought I was trying to pull a fast one with fake money.  She had never seen food stamps before, but knew there was a button on her register that was labeled FOOD STAMP.  After 2 managers and another cashier pulled out an instruction booklet from the back office, they figured out how I could spend my food stamp coupons.  They actually joked about how it was a good learning experience for them.  That day I swore I was going to find a way to get off of any kind of assistance and never go back.
   So, to get on assistance was quite an undertaking.  I had to take a day off work because it was a whole day deal.  We would take the Orlando city bus to the welfare office in a neighboring suburb called Pine Hills.  This particular route was one of the few that required a double bus, which was basically two buses connected by what looked like an accordion. 


Using this as a sample of the double bus

   The bus itself was not bad, but being the only 4 white people on the bus seemed a little over whelming.  Then when you finally got to the office, it was a very painful process to go through 4 times a year.  Oh, and to add insult to injury while we stood there in the Florida heat, so hot people were selling cold soda for $2 a can, other welfare recipients were pulling into the parking lot to get in line for there monthly allotment.  Driving brand new Caddies and Buicks unnoticed by anyone that it should matter too.  

   There were times we found ourselves living in different parts of the state and my first wife went in to the local office in Okeechobee to update some information.  As soon as the case worker learned we were not living in the same house she tried to get my first wife to sign up for monetary assistance to help with bills and rent.  And to subsidize this assistance they were going to hunt me down and garnish my wages.  The wages that were already paying bills and such.

   Welfare has its place, and is a good thing, but I think it has become over abused and a source of income instead of assistance....

1 comment:

  1. I agree, been there done that, too. But just like you I found it too embarrassing to continue so I got a second job instead of going back to update the file!

    It was initially put together as a safety net for people that needed help temporarily and not a way of life as it is today. The proliferation of the generations on welfare and assistance was not meant to be ongoing indefinitely.

    ReplyDelete